Thursday, June 24, 2004

I Think He's Puffing the Magic Dragon . . .

The sunrise was golden and beautiful, but it guaranteed I couldn't see much else. As we walked up the street, I kept my eyes to the ground. The dog walked on, sniffing here and there, taking care of business.

That's when it hit me.

He walked out from the house towards the waiting minivan. I smelled him long before I saw him, and he smelled as if the party had been going on for quite some time.

Yep, my man apparently took a few very liberal hits off the bong before heading to his McJob for the day.

Now I'm not condemning him for hitting the pipe at 6:30 AM. Far from it; we all need a little pickup. Lord knows what I would be like without a stiff belt of scotch to open my eyes and put things in perspective.

But brother, maybe you should find a habit that doesn't leave such a mark on those around you. I mean, c'mon man, I was getting a contact high just walking past you for six seconds. What's the poor fry cook next to you going to do today, fight off an urge to start eating the product around 11:30?

Not to mention you, my friend - how are you going to handle being surrounded by all those burgers, fries and god knows what else all morning? Think, man, think!

Perhaps there's a reason he's going to that McJob at that hour, and that he'll be going to the same job for years to come.

No comments: