Monday, May 03, 2004

I Could Make an Easy Joke Here, but I'm Going to Pass

Since I have great love for you, my reader, I'm giving you a bonus second post tonight. (OK, the real reason is I left my checkbook in my desk drawer at work and can't pay bills like I originally planned, so I have some extra time on my hands).

So I just watched the end of that 10.5 movie on NBC. You know -- the one about the giant earthquake that comes along and eats LA, and wipes out Western Civilization as we know it - well, at least the West Coast.

This movie is resplendent with B-level stars -- Kim Delaney (playing a brilliant geologist - insert your own joke here), Beau Bridges, Dule Hill, John Schneider. They fought the earthquake. They saved lives. They mended fences.

Needless to say, I haven't lauged so hard since I watched Volcano - previously the most unintenionally hysterical movie ever made. Volcano had it all -- earthquakes, lava down Sunset Ave, poignant messages about race relations and Tommy Lee Jones. Oh, and a scene where a guy gets grilled on a ladder. I spent an entire summer watching that one; it actually became funnier each time.

Seriously though, during the pitch meeting, when the guy said "Let's model this after Volcano!" Did someone really say, "Great idea!!!" Good God, man. Of course, I did just have it on my television, but I was waiting for the news to start, and I was playing Civilization. Honest!

So consider this my public service to you, dear reader. Don't watch bad television. It'll warp your brain. It's too late for me, but there's still time for you.

No comments: