Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Window to the Past

In my need for a post-Apprentice reality show fix (damn you, Mark Burnett!! Bring back the Eco Challenge!), I've found something new to occupy my mind - Colonial House.

People from all walks of life come to a "colony" set up on the coast of Maine, and they have to live as if they're in the 17th century.

They're eating peas, salted meat and raising corn using only hoes (the gardening tool - get your minds out of the gutter) and hand tools. It's cold. No television. Bad coffee. Plus you get to relieve yourself wherever you please. Man, I want on this show.

There probably would have been trouble when I really tried to be authentic in my 17th century experience by cheating the natives out of their land by handing them some beads and coins.

All bad jokes aside, this is a fascinating look at how the settlers lived, and how people adapt to living without power tools, running water and a quick trip to the grocery store. Oh, and they have to attend church every Sunday - 17th century style - two-plus hours of hellfire and brimstone. Hallelujah!

In sympathy, I've opted not to turn on my air conditioning until June. Well, it's sympathy and I'm cheap. What can I say?

No comments: