Saturday, May 29, 2004

. . . And We're Back

The post below is a test for a new photo-posting system I'm trying out. I'll be posting photos from my vacation out here with some commentary. If you want to see all of them, click here.

I had a wonderful time; I could talk about the majesty of nature; wax poetic about the glimpses of wildlife, the breathtaking views and all the generally cool stuff we saw - and I'll probably do some of that later. But here's a few thoughts on returning.

It's funny how little priorities change; three days ago, I was worried about warm food, bears and keeping the rain off my head. Three hours ago, I was worried about warm food, bad drivers and still keeping the rain off my head.

I'd hoped to return to a clean house and some serious relaxation; I nearly was involved in two car accidents on my trip from the airport and found my kitchen ceiling had partially collapsed this morning - a victim of the spring storms that have rolled through the area lately. I'm thinking this means there's a new roof in my future.

But I'm not complaining; not yet. I'm relaxed and happy to be back. It was a fun week; I slept on the beach two nights, lulled to sleep by the waves hitting the coast. I clambered over slick boulders and scrambled over headlands. I raced the tide in the cold rain; I staggered back to the car one afternoon, carrying what felt like half the Pacific Ocean in my shoes and shivering in the wind and rain.

And I wouldn't trade these things for the world.

While out on the trail, I enjoyed the scenery and would have killed for a hot shower.

I saw some of Seattle, and I want to go back to explore it.

In short, it was a great week, but it's good to be back.

No comments: